Thursday, May 10, 2012

Fun with yarn....

To start off I would like
to congratulate our granddaughter,
Bailey, on doing such an awesome
job at the Hershey's track meet.
She took 1st place in the 
200 and 400 relay,
3rd place in the 100 and 
2nd place in the soft ball throw.

Next she will attend the State track
meet in Devils Lake, ND in June.

Way to go, Bailey!
We are so proud of you!
 ********************************************
Mother's Day weekend is always special to me....

Not only because I am a mother 
but every year my sweet husband 
takes me to Lake Elmo, MN to the 


I ALWAYS find lots of cool fiber and yarns.  
They have bluegrass musicians playing in the buildings.  
Many vendors....lots of spinning and knitting going on....
sheep shearing.....and barns with sheep and alpacas.  
It is a great time each year....

So this Saturday this is where I get to go! 
 I have all my pennies saved 
and I am READY!  ha ha!

I have a favorite vendor I buy 
something from each year.  
They raise alpacas and have 
spun yarn ready and fiber to spin.  
Last year I purchased two skeins.  
One black and one gray and black.  


I never know what I am going
 to make when I buy yarns.  
If I am attracted to them 
I buy them because 
I know I will come up with something....  
  I make sure there is plenty of yardage.  
Each of these skeins were 
600 yards so I knew I could 
make almost anything I would want.

This is what I started with....

Using one of my favorite patterns....
the Entrelec.....
a hat.


I don't wear hats but I love to make them.  

Then I wanted to try a diagonal scarf 
and I thought they would go well together.....
The scarf is folded in half here,   
I make my scarves 60" long.


I  had plenty of yarn left and thought 
I would add something a little different. 
 These are fingerless mittens.  
Always easier to wear in the spring 
and fall and this leaves your fingers free to knit 
if you are in the car or sitting outside
or if you are shopping you don't have 
to keep taking your mittens off.  


Then I thought to make it even more convenient  
I would add pockets to the top 
to keep some cash or credit cards in --
 then I wouldn't have to carry a purse!
I made an opening while knitting the 
mittens and then added the inside 
pocket that goes almost to 
the top of the mitten.   


I liked how they turned out!

So that is what I did with the yarn from last year!


And believe it or not I still have enough
 yarn left to make another pair of mittens 
or a scarf!

On Mother's Day 
it brings back memories of my mother.

She passed away on March 25, 1994.
I can't believe it has been 18 years already.
I miss her so much.  
 
If I could have just one more day with her....
 
Going down memory lane here....



I know she is still watching over me....
Love and miss you, mom....

Have a fun weekend!


Happy Knitting!

Beth

Every production of an artist should be the
expression of an adventure of his soul.
W. Somerset Maugham

19 comments:

Unknown said...

The pictures of you and your mother are so precious and priceless!

Way to go, Bailey!!! Bailey is such a sweet girl who is so talented and athletic. She is so close with Remington and I can see love and admiration from her eyes.

Bailey has a very talented grandmother who is so artistic and smart. Love your creations especially the mittens.

Happy Mother's Day to you too!

Have a great yarn shopping!

My Mind's Eye said...

Morning Ms. Beth...
Do you know what mom said as soon as she read about the Sheep and Wool Festival??!! She said Madi we are living in the WRONG state!! She said she would really enjoy the entire day too. So your mission is to enjoy if enough for two this weekend.

Mom buys yarn with no project in mind too. In fact she finally bought a storage bin for hers.
We love what you made from last year's Festival.
Hugs Madi and Mom

My Mind's Eye said...

PS Congrats Bailey...mom got all wound up in the yarn. MOL

You are run quick as greased lightning!!
Hugs Madi

My Mind's Eye said...

PSS
We loved the vintage pictures too
Sorry from now on I'll be sure to take notes for Mom so she remembers what she wants to say.
M&M

Bassetmomma said...

Congrats to Bailey! She did awesome! That yarn is beautiful and so is the hat, scarf and mittens! I love the pocket in the mittens. What a clever idea! My Mother passed away in 1999 and I still miss her so much. I too would love to have just one more day with her. Wouldn't that be wonderful! Thanks for sharing the picture of you and your Mother! :)

Marilyn said...

That hat is so cute. And I'm sure it is nice and warm. Plus matching pieces! My daughter taught herself to knit and has made fingerless gloves. She sure didn't get the yarn "bug" from me-maybe from her great grandmother, though!♥♫

MadSnapper said...

thanks for sharing your photos of your mother with us. i feel like i know you better from seeing them. i am flabbergasted and amazed at how muchyou made from those two small balls of yarn. the hat looks so comfy and soft. and I love the mittens. that is a great idea with the pockets. you are sooooo very talented. i am thinking toeless socks for Rem this year,

Stewey said...

Congratulations to Bailey - that is quite an accomplishment!
Love what you made with that yarn,
especially the mittens!
Stewey

Unknown said...

WTG Bailey!! That's great :) I absolutely LOVE the hat, scarf and mitts! Wow, if I saw those for sale somewhere, I'd definitely buy them. Such a great idea of adding the pocket to the mitts. I can only imagine how hard it must be to be without your mom, but love the photos you shared...such great memories I'm sure :) Happy Mother's Day to you this weekend!

Brandi

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

I bet you are so very proud of Bailey - congrats for your wins and good luck for the next competition.

I can crochet just about anything, but put knitting needles in my hands and I am all thumbs. I so wish I could master knitting. Your creations are very nice. Bet they would keep one very warm too.

I too miss my Mom - she was such an important part of my life when she was here. But even today I still feel very close to her and know that she is always with me in some way.

Happy Mother's Day to you.

Kathie

Sketching with Dogs said...

Congratulations to Bailey, your grandchildren are very talented.
I love your set that you made, black and grey look so good together.
Such lovely photos of you and your Mum. I miss mine too, nobody can replace your mum.
Lynne x

Molly the Airedale said...

I love your fingerless mittens! I thought of making a pair this year but couldn't seem to decide on the perfect pattern.
I love the pictures of your mom, Beth. How precious they are!

White Dog Blog said...

So wonderful to be able to look back on such fond memories...of your mom...of being a mom...of being a proud grandma....of Mother's Days engrossed in your passion with wool. Have a very special weekend.

The knit set is delightful.

And we are VERY proud of Bailey and wish her continued success.

Millie and Walter said...

You buy yarn like I buy fabric. I usually don't have a project in mind, but just pick up what I like. The hat, scarf and mittens are great. I bet they are nice and warm.

Cindy

bichonpawz said...

You do such beautiful work Beth!!! Love these!!! Have a super fun time at the festival...I just love spending time at those! We are hoping for good weather to be able to attend the Lilac Festival here in Rochester. I miss my mom also!

bichonpawz said...

Ahhh....forgot to say big CONGRATS to Bailey on her wins!!!

Kathy said...

Beth, I will be "virtually" with you this weekend at the festival! I love to watch spinners making wonderful yarn!
I was lucky enough to be at the Alaska State Fair a few years ago, mesmerized by the Native Alaskans spinning qiviut with silk threads. (Soft belly fur of the musk ox.)
Smart idea with the fingerless mittens! Have fun and a Happy Mother's Day! Hugs, Kathy

Ginny Hartzler said...

You really do have a natural talent for this, Beth! Your set is fresh and modern, but cozy and lovely too! I can't wait to see what you make with this year's yarn...alpaca is very highly prized as light yet warm and long wearing. I hope you have a blast at the festival, and that you show us what you got. Way to go Bailey, look at those ribbons!!! But they are not a beautiful as her eyes, which I always enjoy seeing.

Stewey said...

Happy Mother's Day!
Stewey